What started as a fairly straight forward bunker refurb job pretty quickly grew some arms and legs. It was clear that each of the two bunkers on hole 14 had problems before we started we just didn't know exactly how many! We knew that the sand in the bunker on the right had become contaminated with stone which had come up from the underlying bedrock, it also had access problems with its high back and deep step in. The bunker on the left also had access issues on top of the fact that it clearly did not sit well in its surroundings. So we set out at the start of this week to rectify the problems. The plan was to lower the entrance into the right hand bunker, rebuild the revetted face and install a base lining to stop future contamination of the sand. On the left side we decided to move the bunker 2 metres down hill to make space to shape the ground from the adjacent mound on the left hand side. This would also lend itself to allowing easier access into the back of the bunker enabling us to get rid of the steps which have caused some rules problems.
Once we had stripped the turf from each side we cleared the right hand bunker face and base and set to work revetting the new face. Meanwhile, the excavator was busy digging out the bunker on the left using the material to fill the old bunker. As we tried to create a bunker that looked the part we came to realise that more ground than anticipated would need to be dug up so as to achieve the right result. We took the decision to lift the entire green approach and a small section of the green itself to allow us to carry out ground reshaping work on a wider scale. We feel this action was necessary to create a natural looking end result with the land flowing naturally from the green, through the bunkers and into the surrounding mounds and hollows.